Morrill Hall is one of the oldest buildings on campus and perhaps the most haunted. Students love to visit it for that reason. Over the years it housed everything from the Departments of Agriculture to Veterinary Science.
The psychic energy here is overwhelming say investigators. A few years back, workers in Morrill Hall found human remains under a sink while the building was undergoing renovation. Additionally, the staff in Morrill has heard noises late at night. They say people trip and fall for no apparent reason.
There have also been mysterious smells. A few years ago workers were installing a new air conditioner and called firefighters in to check on strange odors. It was determined that drilling had released fumes and ashes left over from the disastrous Thanksgiving weekend fire of 1912.
Morrill Hall was constructed in 1898 and is the oldest campus building
with its original facade intact. It was named after U. S. Senator Justin
Morrill, who sponsored the Morrill Land Grant Act of 1862. That act established
federal land grant colleges, including the Maryland Agricultural
College (later to become the University of Maryland.)
Return to Haunted Maryland 2011